Tuesday 25 February 2014

Do you have a morning routine?

Image from Google


I'm constantly on the search for ways to streamline my day, be more productive, and manage my time more efficiently so that I can keep all my priorities in check.
Rewind a few years ago and I was the messiest, most unorganized person. When I was at uni, I couldn't understand why I was constantly feeling overwhelmed, and like the world was caving in on me every week. But I didn't have any structure to my day, I'd just wake up, do whatever I felt like in the moment, and cruise through life. Ironically, this 'cruisy' existence brought me constant stress and anxiety; as important things on my to-do list were swept under the carpet in favour of something more fun; like cooking a gourmet meal for one and pampering myself with face masks (a guilty pleasure of mine).

Since having my son Arie, I've received a royal butt kicking. I've learnt the hard way that a lack of organization means you get pretty much nothing done. 

I had this deep feeling when I was pregnant that being a mum would bring out the best in me. In this area, it definitely has! I now thrive on organizing my time and ticking off all the things I've accomplished in the day, however small or large they may be.

The biggest thing I've learnt; an echo from a series of memorable posts I read years ago by Sarah Wilson; is the importance of having a morning routine.  

This has honestly revolutionized my productivity. When my day has started well, I feel I have the motivation to do all the things I need to do. It's also a great way to do all those things that are really important to you first thing in the morning; so you feel to some degree accomplished, even if the rest of your day turns to chaos (a regular occurrence for mummies).

So here I thought I would share with you my morning routine at the moment:

I normally wake up some time between 5.30 and 6. Arie usually wakes at 7 so this gives me about an hour. The first thing I do is grab a big glass of water with apple cider vinegar and down it.

Then I roll out my yoga mat and do some stretching (I see an awesome trainer once a month who gives me stretch and strength exercises to correct posture etc). When I keep the stretching up I have no pain in my body and I move soooo much better.

After this I'll have another big glass of water.

Then I'll get into some strengthening exercises with my Swiss ball for about 40 minutes or so. Or I'll go for a barefoot run on Thirroul beach, or do a body weight workout at the park. Moving my body every single day is incredibly important to me. It wards of blue moods, clears my head and helps me to focus for the day. Not to mention the health and body benefits. It also helps me have the strength to carry a growing baby around without damaging my posture. I listened to some great pod casts by Chris Kresser titled 'How to be insanely productive' and he stated that Richard Branson's number one productivity boosting secret is simple: work out every day. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

After moving my body and getting the blood pumping I'll jump in the ocean for a swim. Even when it's cold, I never regret a swim. The salt is awesome for my skin, and I feel super energized, rejuvenated and ready for the day.

By this time it's about 7am and I'll come say good morning to Arie, and give him a breastfeed and lots of cuddles. I'll then drink some more water and help Grant put together a breakfast smoothie. They change every day, but usually have a combo of soaked chia seeds, cashews, coconut oil, greens, berries, amonst other fruits or superfood powders.

Grant is usually off to the gym or to work by this time, and Arie usually gets tired again by about 8.30. 

When Arie is down to sleep I'll spend half an hour or so taking care of my spiritual life: reading my bible, journalling, practising thankfulness, praying, and sometimes meditating on what I've read (I'll set a timer for 15 minutes). Then I check my diary, organize my day and get to work doing housework, writing, and all the other things I need to do.

And that's how I spend the morning! Of course it doesn't always go to plan, and it sounds like a lot, but because we aim to get to bed by 9.30 at the latest, it means I have much more time in the morning. When I complete this routine, it doesn't matter if the rest of the day is torn to shreds because most of the important priorities in my life have been covered.

How do you spend your mornings? Do you have a morning routine?

If for some reason you can't comment below (still working out blogger, and many people have said they can't comment), please email me your comment, or any questions to sproutingsplendour@gmail.com


I'd love to connect with you and get to know you!
















No comments:

Post a Comment