Wednesday 5 March 2014

Arame Slaw with Tahini Dressing




I'm having a fun day. Despite teething, little Arie has been in a surprisingly delightful, chilled out mood that has freed me up to do some of the things I love; including having a gorgeous swim down at my local beach (Thirroul) this morning before Grant was off to work. The water was super clear and glittery in the sunshine. I used to take little moments like this for granted before I bore a bub. They are worth more than diamonds now!


To add to all this brilliance, I've also had the time to make some nourishing organic wholefood goodies. Here is a spectacularly colourful, bursting-with-goodness salad that I made up earlier, and that I've been chowing on throughout the day. It's an easy way to down a heap of raw veggies. So00000 good for you!


It contains Arame seaweed: one of the less 'fishy tasting' varieties that your body will love. Did you know that sea vegetables like Arame offer some of the broadest ranges of minerals of any food; and interestingly contain many of the minerals found in human blood? They are excellent sources of Iodine, vitamin C, Manganese, vitamin B2 and bioavavailable Iron. Who needs a multivitamin?

You can find Arame and other sea vegetables in most health food stores.




I love to eat seasonally, and so with this recipe I've used whatever veg I had available in my local organic veggie box. So feel free to replace the veg with anything else seasonal. Experimenting with different combo's makes it fun and unique. I've used my grating attachment on my food processor for this, but you can also use a regular grater, and finely chop the less-grateable veg (like shallots). It'll just require a bit more elbow grease :)




Salad Ingredients:

2 TBSP dried Arame seaweed, re hydrated in water for 5 minutes
2 large carrots
4 shallots (scallions/green onions)
1 large beetroot
4 kale leaves, stems removed
1 small bunch radishes
a few tablespoons of seeds (I used hemp seeds, but you could use sesame, sunflower or pumpkin seeds)


Tahini Dressing Ingredients:

3 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
1 big TBSP tahini
2 tsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard 
sea salt & cracked pepper to taste




Method:

1. Wash and grate all the salad ingredients in a food processor with the grating attachment (or use a box grater and finely slice the shallots). 

2. Drain the arame and add to a large bowl with the grated veggies; mixing through with your hands.

3. For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together with a fork. 

4. Pour dressing over the salad and sprinkle with seeds.

Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment