Tuesday 25 June 2013

Gluten free apple and chia breakfast crumble



 I love to start my day with awesomeness. When I kick my morning off with awesome things, I find that the vibe tends to flow on throughout lunchtime, and into the night. 

For me, food is one of the best avenues for setting a day up for success. Eating a delicious, nutrient packed breakfast clears my head, gives me energy, and helps my body and mind to perform at it's best. A good morning routine; including a good breakky is a capacity and potential booster. Not just in the way it physically fuels the body; but I think that taking the time to really nourish and honor yourself and prepare something healthy and special does something in your mindset. It's as if you are affirming that you are valuable. 

 I'm normally a superfood smoothie kind of girl; because I love to pack in as many vitamins and minerals and good fats into my breakfast as possible. But as the chill of winter is beginning to really get to me, I've decided to switch to a morning green juice to hydrate my body and fill my bloodstream with a quick hit of living nutrients,  followed with something warm, comforting, and satiating.

For most of my young adult life I've been obsessed with oat porridge. When Grant and I first started dating I used to invite him over every morning for a breakfast of oats cooked on the stovetop with cinnamon, brazil nuts and raw honey. We would eat this every single day. 

Sadly, I've noticed in the last couple of years that oats aren't agreeing with me. In fact, anything gluten-y leaves me feeling lethargic, and feels as though its sitting in my stomach for way too long. I've tried soaking the oats overnight and slightly fermenting them to get a bit of pre-digestion going, but still; it's not serving me that well. It's certainly not something I can begin every day with anymore. So I've listened to my body, but found myself in a little conundrum: I don't know what to have for breakfast! 

I've had to get creative and have started making 'porridge' out of other gluten free grains. Unfortunately the beloved quinoa that's ever so popular at the moment gives me a burning sensation in my stomach, so I can't jump on that train either (woe is me). But leftover brown rice has been a winner! I've read that combining brown rice with nuts and seeds increases the absorption of protein and supplies more of the amino acids needed, and am finding this keeps me full, but not weighed down; right through to lunch. I'll post this recipe soon! I'm on a mission to find a range of new, delicious, easy, gluten free, nutrient packed breakfast ideas and would love to take you on the journey.

Yesterday morning; I came up with a pretty spectacular gluten free wintry breakfast idea. I'm a big lover of stewed fruits, and got some gorgeous pesticide free granny smith apples at the farmers markets on Friday, so I thought.. maybe I could have a 'healthy' apple crumble for breakfast! Why not? 

I've added chia seeds into the mix because they are just such a fabulous ingredient. They are flavourless, and their gel-like texture fits the crumble well. They are also high in protein and minerals such as manganese, phosphorous and calcium, and their gelatinous exterior is known to bind to toxins and remove them from the digestive tract. I learnt this from Foodmatters and Hungry for Change: If you haven't watched these films, you HAVE to! They will make you excited about filling your body with wonderful food, and honoring this amazing body that we have!

       Gluten free apple and chia 
      breakfast crumble (serves 1)



Stewed apple & chia
  • 1 granny smith apple; halved and sliced
  • 2 dessert spoons chia seeds soaked in 1/3 cup water for 5 mins (you’ll need to stir these throughout the soaking process or you’ll get a layer of hard chia seeds on top)
  • A few TBSP water
  • ½ vanilla bean split down the middle (not necessary, but delish!)

Crumble topping
  •     1 handful cashews
  •     1 handful shredded coconut (check for preservatives; they love to sneak them in)
  •     ½ tsp cinnamon 
  •     1 medjool date 
  •     1 TBSP butter, chopped into cubes
  •     pinch of Celtic/Himalayan salt


Method: 
  1.  Set oven to 180 degrees Celsius
  2. Place your apple, water and vanilla bean in a sauce pan (covered) on medium-high heat. Turn down to a simmer once it has boiled, and add more water if evaporated. 
  3. Meanwhile, throw all your crumble ingredients into a blender/food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles rough, crumbly crumbs and the flavours look as though they have combined.      
  4. When apple looks to be softened, scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and stir in. Discard the vanilla pod.   
  5. Add your soaked chia to the apple mix, and stir to heat through. 
  6. Pour apple and chia mix into a ramekin/ small oven safe dish.   Add your crumble mixture to the top.    
  7. Bake in the oven for approx 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown (watch it doesn’t burn).


Done! Serve as is, or with some full fat organic yogurt or coconut cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment